Wednesday, November 30, 2005

What if a woman walks into a shop, is she responsible then?

A Wellington ex-restaurant manager has been jailed for 12 years for raping two young girls, one of whom was a customer, you can read more about it here. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only woman in Wellington who knows who it was, and wasn't that surprise.

I remember last year sometime saying to a friend of mine that I didn't want to go to this particular place because the way the guy hit on me made me feel uncomfortable, he replied 'oh he hits on everyone.'

He'd said exactly the same phrase to me that he said to the girl he raped, and I'm sure to many other women who walked into the shop.

I'm trying to start taking that creepy feeling seriously. I think I need to ask others to do the same. I should have stopped going to that restaurant, I should have talked to other women about the way we felt.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:43 pm

    That really is appalling. As a guy I've never had to experience antyhing like that and never will so this is, well, not good, but educational I suppose you could say. I may well have been into this restaurant and never noticed a thing. Nobody should have to put up with that sort of behaviour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:44 am

    They say that if you sence something is not right, then most likely it isn't.
    Trust your intuition and move away from the situation that is making you uneasy.

    ReplyDelete