Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Anne Frank: Feminist of the Day:


Anne Frank
Diarist
"In spite of everything, I still believe that people are really good at heart."

It has been years since I read Anne Frank's diary. I cried, of course, but I think some of its power came not just its exoticness, but from its familiarity. She writes about growing up, and the relationships with her family, just in very unusual circumstances.

Unfortunately I only ever had the first version, the one that had been published by her father (I think her sexuality was the area that was most heavily edited). She'd recognised her diary as a worthwhile piece of writing while she was still in hiding and started re-writing it. You can get copies that compare what she'd originally wrote, with the bits that were rewritten.

Now it may look like I'm contradicting what I said yesterday, but I'd classify Anne Frank as a feminist. Now she didn't identify as a feminist, and unfortuantely her life didn't leave her many opportunities to join together with other women to improve their lives.

But I believe that women telling the truth about themselves is a vital part of feminism. Which is why I think women who write honestly about their lives are always performing a feminist act even if they don't see it that way.

Conclusion: I've no idea who she would have been, but her diary tells her life as it was, and to me that's feminist.

No comments:

Post a Comment