Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Paris Burning

I've been meaning to write about the riots in France for nearly a week, but I keep putting it off. Writing comes more easily when I'm able to mock with righteous indignation than when anger is combined with uncertainty.

My anger is for those with power in France. From the cops who chased those two young boys, to Chirac. Racism and poverty created these riots, but state violence is the only solution they've got.

I'm impressed with the ability of angry young men to organise themselves (and not at all surprised that they're using cellphones, the revolution may not be televised, but it'll probably be texted).

There's a lot of rage. Through this burning, they're saying, 'I exist; I'm here'.
That's the reason for my uncertainty. Whether it's burning cars in poor areas, or setting fire to a bus, the targets are all wrong. I understand their anger, but unless that anger is directed towards those with power, then it can only ever proclaim the existance of someone with a molotov cocktail.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous5:38 pm

    I thought this was an interesting article:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/france/story/0,11882,1637213,00.html

    ReplyDelete