Monday, October 24, 2005

Labour Day

I feel an obligation to say something about Labour Day, but I don't have a lot to say. New Zealander's have no longer have any right to the 8 hour day, or the 40 hour week. They haven't at any time in my working life, or the working life of anyone else under the age of 30. There is no serious campaign or effort to get the 40 hour week back.

In the week running up to Labour Day OSH released a report that revealed that an industry that has received considerable public subsidies thinks nothing of 24 hour day, and that this practice has caused health and safety risks:

New Zealanders need to stop viewing Peter Jackson through rose tinted spectacles, and see the reality that this is a business where safety comes last for cost reasons.


So nothing much to celebrate, but I'm proud to say that I haven't actually done any work today, it's always a little touch and go, but I managed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment