Saturday, September 30, 2006

Extreme silliness alert

I haven't written about the frog (my friends' baby - he used to live across the road, but now he doesn't - it's very sad for me) much since I got such stupid comments on my post about him.*

But I thought I'd share my most recent fear, which is that he was going to grow up to be an animal rights activist. He had words for cat, dog, cow, fish, tiger/lion/thing that growls, dinosaurs and probably some animals that I've forgotten. But he didn't have any words for people. That seemed a dangerous way to beging your communication in this world.

So I was greatly relieved to discover that the song 'Step by Step'** has an almost miraculous ability to calm him down when he's sick. He may turn out to value animals more than people, but at least he'll see the importance of collective action.

* What gets me is that the very same men who will tell a woman has been rape that she should treat every man like a rapist ('what were you doing going to his bedroom if you didn't want to have sex with him'?) are up in arms if women actually do treat every man like a potential rapist.

** For those that don't know the words:
Step by step the longest march can be won, can be won
Many stones may form an arch singly none, singly none
And by union what we will can be accomplished still
Drops of water turn a mill singly none, singly none

I'd estimate that I've sung it over 50 times in the last two days.

2 comments:

  1. Hehe, go frog! I guess I'll have to sing him some union songs next time he cries around me, see if it works :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most kids are like this. Mine certainly were. Although James does have "pirates" on his list of nouns.

    ReplyDelete