Thursday, May 17, 2007

16 years and no-one gives a shit

I haven't been paying that much attention to the budget. I'm sure I have an opinion of KiwiSaver (and I suspect it's fears of creeping privatisation), but I don't care enough to figure out what it is.

But I can't help but notice what's not here: we have another budget, another surplus, business tax-cuts, and the benefit cuts of 1991, the ones that were intended to make benefits impossible to live off, haven't been reversed.

This is the best the Greens, the most left-wing party in parliament, an do:

However, the big ticket item of business tax cuts rewards sustainable and unsustainable business equally. The big business tax cut is not linked to sustainability measures at all. And a great deal of it will simply flow overseas in increased dividends for foreign companies. How that helps the economy or sustainability is a mystery.
Even Susan St John's alternative budget doesn't mention them.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11:58 pm

    No Right Turn commented tho' - I/S reckons its all down to the capture of the Labour Party by the Middle Classes, which sounds about right, but also look to the other coalition partners, particularly Dunne & co, not to mention the reptilian Maharey who never misses an opportunity to kick the poor.
    Grant (Ultra)

    ReplyDelete