Monday, July 05, 2010

Tribute

It's going to be all abortion-blogging all the time this week (at least)from me. I have a lot to say.

But before I say anything else I just want to pay tribute to the women who fought the battles - who got us here.

The abortion fight in the 1970s was intensely long and gruelling. As I was growing up I knew abortion was an option (although I wasn't aware how ridiculous the laws were). It was only an option because people fought so long and hard both before and after the law changed.

As well as those who pushed the issue forward in the 1970s, there have also been women who have kept the issue alive over the years. Particularly at ALRANZ.

I've always loved the metaphor that those of us who are fighting for a better world are each a link in the chain - and I think as we make more chain we should appreciate that which already exists.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, your link to Alranz isn't working.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The general media coverage is making me mad for a lot of reasons. Your blog is making it better. Add my love to all the women who've kept the line. I'd like to be a link in this chain. x

    ReplyDelete