Thursday, January 10, 2008

Review: No Future For You SPOILERS

So I've got behind on my Buffy comic reviews, so I'm going to review the last three episodes of the Faith arc together. As expected Faith becomes close with the evil slayer who is a member of the English aristocracy (mostly by fighting the gargoyle), and then (again not suprisingly) Gigi is trying to kill Buffy.

It was well done, Faith was well captured, and Gigi worked as a character. Gigi's Warlock friend seemed very much a cardboard cut-out, but that's all he needed to be I guess.

And in the end the story wasn't about Gigi at all, but Faith, Giles & Buffy's relationship. But there were serious problems in the execution. This plot-line lost a lot of its power because we had no idea of what Buffy and Giles or Buffy and Faith's relationship had been like since Sunnydale hit into a hole, so it wasn't anchored to anything.

I think maybe it's a problem with the genre, because there seems to be a lot of 'telling' rather than showing going on. Characters explain exactly what their motivations are, whether it's Twilight or Faith. The ratio of fight scenes to conversations is so much higher than it was in the TV, so there doesn't seem to as much space for character, which I miss. I do enjoy the comics, and like the ideas, and where the characters are, but I'm just not convinced by the way it's told.

Talking of problem with comic books. The baths! Never in the history of literature have female characters been so disproportionately cleaner than their male counterparts. Why do Faith and Gigi make plans in the bath?

No, I know the answer, it just pisses me off.

Tomorrow I'll review the 'Anywhere But Here' and then maybe I'll review Tales of the Slayers (which I got ages ago). I've been remiss in the Joss content for a few months.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous5:37 am

    "And in the end the story wasn't about Gigi at all, but Faith, Giles & Buffy's relationship. But there were serious problems in the execution. This plot-line lost a lot of its power because we had no idea of what Buffy and Giles or Buffy and Faith's relationship had been like since Sunnydale hit into a hole, so it wasn't anchored to anything."

    I think that this is really about the problems between Buffy and Giles . . . with Faith caught in the middle. I think that Giles has not forgiven Buffy for rejecting his role as her authority figure, following his attempt to get Spike killed in late S7. And I think that Buffy still resents the fact that Giles has not shown any remorse for his actions.

    ReplyDelete