Sunday, October 16, 2005

Mary Daly: Feminist of the Day?


Mary Daly
Writer, radical feminist
"Courage to be is the key to the revelatory power of the feminist revolution."



Great I've only been going a few days and now I have to uncover my dirty secret: I've hardly read any feminist theory. Sometimes I try - I started The Female Eunuch half a dozen times, I just can't get into it. It's not just feminist theory either - I find my eyes glazing over whenever I read theory of any sort unless I know a reasonable amount about the question they're addressing. I love reading non-fiction but only if it is has actual people with names in it.

So on to Mary Daly - having revealed that I'm completely unqualified to write about, well anything, but particularly feminism (actually I have a whole rant about the problems of over-intellectualising the feminist movement, but I'll save that for another time).

But the problem is all I know about her is she wrote "Beyond God the father". I've neve read it but I know what it looks like - it has the woman's press iron on the spine. I know she was interested in looking at spirituality, and the sexism and misogyny in religion (although I could probably have guessed that from the title).

Conclusion: Obiviously she's a feminist and her writing is important. I might just have to go borrow her book and find out more - books with irons on them are generally worth the effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment