Monday, April 16, 2007

Review: The Long Way Home Part 2 (SPOILERS)

I've decided that the problem is that comics are too short. 24 pages a month is not enough, if you've been used to 42 minutes a week. A month is a long time between mouthfuls.

At the moment all I can say is that I'm enjoying the Buffy comic. It feels foolish to pass judgement on any of the major plot-lines yet (although I'm not OK with any of the potential candidates for Buffy's true love except Willow), since I don't know where they're going. Generally I'm excited by Giant Dawn, and the evil army, and everything else I'm going to wait and see.

It's pretty cool to have the old characters back (and their dream sequences - I love a Joss dream sequence). I'm even beginning to like some of the slayers, which I never did with the potentials.* Although one of them has terrible taste in men.

The art bothers me more this issue. Mostly because Joss randomly set a scene while Dawn is washing in a water hole that won't fit all of her. But apparently if Georges Jeanty 'two women in their pyjamas attacking an intruder' he thinks 'butts, waists and thighs'. What he thinks when he hears 'Buffy chained to a bed' is even more predictable.**

* Except Milly from Freaks and Geeks, because Freaks and Geeks was awesome.

** I didn't understand that at all actually, the bed looked like it had holes for her arms and what was this mystical protection that stopped her being stabbed, but didn't stop her being tied up or enchanted?

4 comments:

  1. Freaks and Geeks was awesome indeed. I was pretty pissed off when they canned it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was surprised to see you commenting on this thread Asher - but now it makes perfect sense


    You know as well as being the principal Joss dealer of the Wellington left, I do sideline in Freaks and Geeks DVDs. So I can lend you some if you're interested.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a couple of issues with the drawing as well, but my first (and verbal - I scared the cats!) reaction to the spell was "Oh, come on! True love? Thanks Disney princesses." *sigh* Joss had better pull something good out of this, or his feminist credentials are on the line.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hehe, I was tempted to make some Buffy related snide remarks, but then I thought you'd ban me from commenting :P

    I'm definately keen for Freaks & Geeks DVDs. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete