Saturday, October 06, 2007

Review: Sugarshock

Sugarshock is Joss Whedon's free on-line comic. If you haven't read it yet you should: part 1, part 2, and part 3.

It's an, extremely silly, story about a band called Sugarshock. Made up of Dandelion who hates vikings and is authorised to use deadly force by the secret government agency that she works for, Wade, who likes groupies,Robot Phil, who is a robot and L'Lihdra, who seems rather robotic until her absolute awesomeness is made clearr. Their music is fantastic (well we only get the lyrics to one song, but they're hilarious - and I really want to hear 'God bites Man' even if Dandelion is off key). After an emissary from another planet falls on their car they enter the international battle of the bands it just gets stranger and there are stoves, squirrels, and lathes in places you'd least expect them.

I'm a big fan of Joss Whedon; I can (and sometimes do) go on at great length about the metaphors, characters, and meaning of his work. Sugarshock isn't one of those moments, this is more like Doppelgangland - he's having heaps of fun, throwing in more and more silliness, and it's joyful.

If that wasn't enough the art doesn't suck. There's a woman in it whose body looks like it might actually move if you touched her. I didn't even know that was possible in comic book form.

So go read it - it's free and it'll make your day better.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous7:10 pm

    I have to say that this randomness made my day. I have no idea how I came across this comic online, but this person has it right. Joss Whedon is so full of wonderful silliness in this comic, tangents galore. Which I most definitely love. The voices of the characters ring loudly in my ears. Each and everyone of them distinct in their personality. I loved it, and it totally made my day. Thank you Joss Whedon. Now I just have to find a physical version.

    ReplyDelete