Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Rabbits

There are times when it is hard not to be overwhelmed by the sheer awfulness of the world, and the size of the things that we have to fight.
John Marsden's The Rabbits is one of the most heart-breaking and beautiful picture books I have ever read, but it overwhelmed me in exactly that way.

I'm not going to talk much about it, becaue I think you should just go read it (get it out of the library, read in the bookshop, give it to the next person you are obliged to get a gift for and read it first, beg, borrow, or steal - it's that good).

But I wanted to write about the feeling of despair mostly to fight it in myself, because I think that the difference between someone who worries about what's going on and an activist is hope. That hope can come from all different places, but it's very hard to maintain long-term. While there are lots of other reasons people drop-out of political activity, I think losing hope is often a big factor. I try and nuture my hope through history, through what people have been able to achieve in the past, but I don't think I've been doing it enough - because otherwise I wouldn't have had that level of despair.

9 comments:

  1. but why oh why does it have to be rabbits? (I have heard good things about that book as well. Maybe I can get over my strange Anya-like fear of bunnies)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm afraid it has to be rabbits for historical reasons.

    Although if you have an Anya like fear of bunnies this book will intensify that fear greatly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right about it being easy to give up and despair. The fact that the prevailing ideal of cynicism makes almost a virtue out of not hoping doesn't help, either.

    I'm guessing this book demonises rabbits as the allegorical evil colonialists. It may seem... somewhat wanky to say this, but demonising rabbits isn't reallly fair. They didn't ask to be brought over.

    ReplyDelete
  4. but they're so evil.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eleanor quite a lot of the people who colonised Australia didn't have a choice about coming either, I don't think that should preclude us from examining the experience of being colonised.

    I wouldn't say the book demonises rabbits - although of course you'd have to read it.

    (lost clown how could they be anything but evil with their floppy ears and their twitchy little noses?)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eleanor quite a lot of the people who colonised Australia didn't have a choice about coming either, I don't think that should preclude us from examining the experience of being colonised.

    That's true, I just find the 'anthropomorphisation' thing annoying. But as you say, I'll have to read it. I'm sure vicbooks has a copy.

    And how can rabbits be evil when they're so goshdarned delicious?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wouldn't eat them (vegetarian).

    (maia you just induced the Anya solo to run through my head : ...and what's with all the carrots, what do they need such good eyesight for anyway!!!" They need good eyesight because they never close their eyes Creepy little buggers.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. No way do they never close their eyes! I'm sure I've seen rabbits blink!! I am so going to lose sleep now lost clown.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ok, they blink but they sleep with their eyes open.

    Sorry to disturb you....you now know my pain (I have a friend I can't visit cuz she has a pet rabbit)

    ReplyDelete